Wednesday, May 2nd ~
Gotcha days are typically on Mondays with the adoption being finalized the following day. Monday, April 30th and Tuesday, May 1st were holidays in China, so we assumed this week wasn't an option for a gotcha day. Jiangxi province also recently announced the adoption process would take 2 weeks in province now (plus the week in Guangzhou). We really wanted to bring the big girls along but knew missing 3 weeks of school wasn't realistic. The girls had ISTEP testing the week of April 23rd and Brynna's dance recitals were May 19 & 20. We realized our only option to get to China and back between the two events was to go during the week of the holiday AND expedite our time in province. This also meant we would need a quick TA. I didn't think there was any way it could happen and told everyone we would meet her on May 28th.
But, God!
I felt prompted to message our in-China coordinator and asked her to petition the Civil Affairs office to see if they would consider allowing us to have gotcha & adoption day together on Wednesday, May 2nd and have her passport/paperwork ready on the 4th. I knew it was a long shot but within just a few hours, she messaged back saying they agreed to do it!!
One of the first things our guide said to us this morning when she picked us up at the train station was about how we were having a short stay and doing things "very quick." (There were two other families from our agency in Nanchang who had gotcha on 4/23 and will be here until 5/4!) I believe that God is sovereign over all things, but in situations like this, I feel His sovereignty in such a real and tangible way. God ordained May 2nd to be the day that Juan would join our family forever, even when it didn't seem realistic or possible... He knew. ♥
So as we woke up this morning on the train, I felt a peace and excitement for what the day would hold! That is, until our guide met us at the train station and told us we would "rest today and meet your baby tomorrow." Wait, what?! That was a surprise!! We discussed the confusion with our guide, Shirley, who was also our guide when we adopted Beilyn. We arrived at our beautiful hotel (Galactic Classic), showered, and decided to walk down toward Walmart to get some lunch. We had just walked into Walmart when our guide called to say she had spoken with the civil affairs office. She would be in the lobby to pick us up at 2:00 to meet our baby!! Yay!! My heart started pounding! Gotcha Day is officially here!
 |
| The girls' room. |
 |
| The toilet lids went up automatically when you walked in the room. The seats were heated and the bowls lighted. Luxury I never realized I was missing out on! |
 |
| Our room. |
 |
| We had two bathrooms. |
 |
| Front desk in the hotel lobby. The glass chandeliers were beautiful lit up at night. |
 |
| Standing in front of Galactic Peace Hotel, where we stayed when we adopted the other girls. It's across the street from where we are staying this time. |
 |
| I knew Braylee would love buying fresh fruit from the street vendors. |
 |
| Sitting in the spot where we sat on Beilyn's adoption day and saw her first steps! |
 |
| I love all of the street vendors. |
 |
| You just never know what they might be selling. |
When we got the call in Walmart, Brynna and I walked back to the hotel quickly so we could start getting ready while Alex and Braylee took another route to grab some McDonalds for us. Our hotel rooms were 78* and humid. They don't run the AC when the rooms aren't occupied so it took almost the entire day for the rooms to cool down after we checked in. Between being anxious and the rooms being extra warm, I was trying not to sweat the whole time I was getting ready!
 |
| The housekeepers brought us a crib, stroller, baby tub, and little potty. |
 |
| Super sweet outfit from Mamaw. |
 |
| Everything was ready and we all prayed together before we headed down to the lobby. |
 |
| I think the girls were just as nervous as we were. |
 |
| We walked down the street to the Civil Affairs office, arriving about 3 minutes before Juan did. The office had been redesigned since we were here before. It was still hot though- 83* and humid. |
 |
Then there she was! 💗💖💜
Asleep and sucking her thumb in Ms. Li's arms.
She is the orphanage worker who brought Beilyn to us too. |
 |
| My heart melted. |
 |
| I wore that necklace because I thought she might like it. |
 |
| She wasn't so sure about Alex. He was patient and gave her space. |
 |
| The reality of it...we are full of joy and she is full of fear and uncertainty. Her whole world has just turned upside down. |
 |
| She had been so brave up to this point... |
 |
| But then it really hit her. It breaks my heart. |
 |
| Her sweet foster mom sent formula & rice cereal, snacks, the gifts we had sent Juan on her birthday, and bows she had handmade for our girls. ♥ |
 |
| Alex completed lots and lots of paperwork. |
 |
| The girls were so eager to hold her and love on her! I couldn't bring them all this way and not let them have at least a quick little snuggle. |
 |
| Happy Big Sister |
 |
| Happy Big Sister #2 |
 |
| I was just in awe of her. |
 |
| Poor Daddy was still doing paperwork. |
 |
| Then I signed and placed my red thumbprint on each signature. |
 |
| And Alex finally held his sweet girl. I knew it wouldn't take her long to realize he's on her side... |
 |
| Alex sealed all of his signatures. |
 |
| Which meant this girl was officially ours! |
 |
| We took a picture for the adoption decree. |
 |
I knew it wouldn't take her long to warm up to him.
Sure enough, BellaMei relaxed and fell asleep in her daddy's arms. |
 |
| Our guide attached the picture to our decree. |
 |
| We snapped one final picture in the office where 3 of our daughters became ours. |
 |
| About 1 1/2 hours after we walked in, we left with our new daughter. Officially a family of 8. |

 |
| Her first bottle with us. |
The rest of the day was a dream. She smiled, giggled, snuggled, and played. Braylee got her first smile and Brynna got her first laugh. She loved bath time, posed for pictures 😄, and met her other sisters via FaceTime.
 |
| She was apprehensive at first but then splashed and smiled. She didn't even cry when I washed her hair. |
 |
| Mamaw sent along this precious little outfit for her big day! |
 |
| Meeting her other big sisters 💗💗💗 |
 |
And then she was asleep. Such a big day for our girl.
She woke up an orphan and ended her day in her mommy's arms. |
What a beautiful day. We are hers and she is ours. Thank you, Jesus! 💜
It really is hard to put a Gotcha day into words. She has lost everything she's known and been thrust into a world with strangers who look and smell different. All the while, we are giddy with excitement over our newest family member. We marveled at how brave baby Juan was today. She smiled and giggled. She splashed in the tub and even allowed us to snuggle her. We are so thankful for these precious first moments with her and thankful our big girls were here to witness it all. We are prepared for the sad and hard days that are sure to come, but tonight, we go to bed with our hearts full of joy and wonder as we stare at her tiny fingers and rosy lips. What a treasure He has entrusted to us.
So beautiful. I have been looking forward to this post.
ReplyDelete