Tuesday, May 6, 2014

China 2014 - Day 5 {Adoption Day}

~Monday, May 5, 2014~

Know that today (Tuesday) was a good day, but I want to include as much as I can about yesterday first. It's raw and honest. It's the day Beilyn officially became a member of our family, but it was a rough day.  Also, I wanted to explain that while some of Beilyn's behaviors are making things hard, it's also the physical markers we can see for syndromes that keep making me over analyze everything. It's easier to think through the behaviors (or lack there of) knowing she is scared and grieving but some things are just not "normal" with Beilyn and it makes me scared of the unknowns. She is fearfully and wonderfully made by our Creator, but she is unique.

Alex and I were both up by 3:30am. I broke down again, telling him I just wanted to go home where it's safe and not so full of unknowns. It felt like too much to take on. And while imagining the future of raising a special needs child, it made me ache for my healthy babies at home like I've never felt before. Alex agreed he was scared too but we both knew our hearts wouldn't let us leave her here in China. I knew the adoption officials would be asking us questions during the paperwork later in the day that I wouldn't be able to answer honestly. I told Alex and he suggested that maybe if we had another day to let Beilyn adjust, that we'd feel better about everything. Alex called Shirley and asked if we could postpone the official paperwork until Tuesday. She agreed. (I share this information so that other adoptive families who might find themselves feeling the same way will know they are not alone.) Disruption was not an option but we wanted more time to bond with her before answering their questions.

Beilyn screamed if I wasn't holding her, so Alex had to hold her up against me while I tried to get ready. (We are relishing in the little blessings. We are thankful she will let Alex hold her for short periods if he is helping her be close to me.)

Breakfast was hard. She cried through most of it. I couldn't put her down. She can't suck at all so we are giving her liquids via syringe. She doesn't know how to eat from a spoon.  She only knows finger foods. She chokes a lot.  We gave up and decided to go for a walk. As we walked, we talked about how we were feeling.

Alex and I did a lot of talking yesterday... about what living a life for Him is really about. We want our lives to look "radical," to be different from the world's view so that people see Jesus at work in our lives. We know God chose adoption for our lives for a purpose. We know He chose Beilyn for a purpose.  We realized that more than anything else, we want to walk in faithful obedience to His calling and He called us to her.  The idea of parenting her (maybe for the rest of our lives) scares us to death, but when we die, we want Him to say "well done, good and faithful servant."  We want to be living for His kingdom and not this world.   
An excerpt from David Platt's book Radical

We also did some crying (ok, maybe a lot of crying on my part). We cried because we know things will be different. We cried because we are honored He thinks we are up for the task. And then I cried because I was mad that He thinks we are up for the task.  I cried because seeing my child who looks different and acts different makes me sad for her future and how people will treat her. I cried because it makes my 3 healthy girls at home seem like even bigger blessings than I already thought they were.  I cried when I read the encouraging words of fellow adoptive mommas who get it.  Seriously, they are wise women. I let Alex read a couple of the messages they sent me and he teared up too and said, "You have smart friends."  They encouraged us to give out of sacrificial love, to keep our eyes fixed on Him and not the scary things we were seeing, and that it was ok to grieve. I am not exaggerating when I say I have received well over 100 private messages or emails in the last 48 hours.  We are so blessed with amazing family and friends who are praying and supporting us!

As we sat at the park and cried together about what it means to fully trust Him, He gave us this little miracle...Beilyn took a couple of steps for us. She hasn't done it since and really isn't even stable just standing, but He knew we needed a little push of reassurance.


It's hard to know right now if Beilyn's delays are related to being in the orphanage, grieving, or mental delays.  My guess is probably a mixture of all 3.  At times, her grieving is palpable. She is so scared and sad. Sometimes, she is blank, doesn't respond to sound or us trying to get her attention. She functions more like a 9-12 month old, which is not unusual with being institutionalized. I am sure she has emotional scars that run deeper than we will ever know.

Once we were back at the hotel, we knew there was no reason to delay the paperwork.  He chose us for her and her for us.  

At 2:15pm, we arrived at the Civil Affairs office where the official adoption paperwork would be signed. While we were waiting on the photographer to arrive for the family photo that's attached to the adoption decree, Beilyn was crying. I was trying to soothe her and saying, "It's ok. Don't be scared." I'm not sure if I was saying it more for her or for myself.  Miss Beilyn ended up doing really well for the photo, even though you can tell she had been crying.

Waiting on paperwork to be prepared. So thankful she is learning to find comfort with her mama.


Before we signed and stamped our thumb prints, they handed us a form we had to complete with our thoughts on the adoption, stating we would never abandon or abuse her, provide medical care and education, etc.  And then we read the question, "Have you come to the decision to adopt after serious deliberation?" I looked at Alex and said, "It's the most serious thing we have ever decided." I marked the little box next to yes with tears in my eyes. 
Leaving his red thumbprint over his signature to finalize everything.

Then it was my turn. Beilyn and I were both crying, but in that moment, I looked at those red thumbprints and it reminded me of the blood He poured out in the ultimate sacrifice for us. I repeated in my head, "It's all because of Him."

And just like He always does, He sent us what we needed when I felt like I couldn't breathe. She smiled and pointed at the photos on the wall. It was like a little hug from God saying, "Trust me. It's going to be ok."
We completed the adoption paperwork by answering more questions at the notary and then going to the police station to apply for Beilyn's passport. All the while, we held our breaths and braced for impact no less than four times during the ride through town. The drivers here are insane.  

We made it back to our hotel and I started feeding Beilyn some dinner while Alex went to find dinner for us.  The emotions of the day came crashing in as I watched Beilyn cry and struggle to eat or drink. When Alex returned, he found both of us covered in agonizing tears. I told him the only thing I could compare it to was how I felt when my Gramps died.  I can only imagine what Beilyn was thinking. I went to bed thankful for a husband who has unwavering faith and a God who comforts me.


Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

-Oceans, Hillsong

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I appreciate your honesty so much and guarantee no criticism. Continue to cling to the cross, Tera! He will provide. Looking forward to the next update already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All i can say is I love you. I love your heart. I can not wait to meet your princess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tera- praying for you and your family. You and Alex are an inspiration! Beilyn is adorable and looks so comfortable in your arms. I'm thinking that maybe the orphanage wasn't able to provide her with the love and care she really needs. God has provided her with a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in my thoughts and prayers and you have to believe that it will get better. She is beautiful and you have to believe that God did choose you and Alex to be her parents. Love your posts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post! Thank you for sharing your heart. I am confident that God has big plans for Beilyn and your family. Prepare to be amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the last post, friend. "Prepare to be amazed." I am amazed already at how our Jesus is pouring out His Spirit on you. He is leading your where your trust is without borders. He is teaching you in ways that you could not have known without this journey that He is more than enough. And what you are giving through this, the story of the raw, hard things, and then of His mercy and grace and faithfulness and redemption that covers it all, is a testimony to the all who are watching, those who know HIm and those who don't, that HE ALONE IS GOD. Thank you for your faithfulness, my friend. Thank you for allowing Him to give you His heart for this precious child. Thank you for not giving into fear and for not giving up on this child. Prepare to be amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh reading this post brings me back to 4 months ago when we adopted our daughter Mayleigh. I was terrified at the special need we got into and I yearned for my healthy boys back at home. Mayleigh was so completely shut down for the whole 17 day trip! She smiled ONE time the whole trip. She would not walk, would not let us put her down, and slept all the time to cope.
    I am praying for you and your husband. I know with your strong faith that you will get through this. I was just telling my husband that I really think if someone said we can take Mayleigh back (while in china) I would have given her back and now 4 months (to the day) later I am so thankful I trusted God that she was our daughter. Today she is doing amazing! So happy and such a great kid!!
    Praying for you!!!! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so familiar with the emotions you have shared here, I can feel them again deep in my gutt! I remember just last November being in China for Abby and going to sign the paperwork to say "yes" for what would probably mean the rest of my life... Tears were waiting to escape and I forced myself to go through the motions required to do what I knew God had called me to do! I found that I awoke every morning with those same overwhelming emotions, but after spending time in God's Word and playing praise music all day long, my perspective would re-align with His by days end and I would make it through. King David's words came to my heart and mind again and again... "I will not sacrifice to the Lord that which costs me nothing!" You are right... this adoption will cost much of you! But your sacrifice is beautiful to the Lord!

    My life has radically changed with each adoption, and most especially with the adoption of a child with a disability that will mean a lifetime of care. It is hard... maybe the hardest thing I've ever done. But I have never before sensed deep in my soul that I am EXACTLY where God wants me, the way I do right now. I am pouring myself out for HIM and Him alone, and as I push forward, regardless of the cost, I can feel His pleasure. Let everyone else take the easy... I'll take this difficult road any day if I know that it means I am walking closer to the heart of Jesus!

    Don't you dare believe the emotions that the enemy is pushing on you right now, Tera! Don't even think of "following your heart" the way the world would tell us to. Instead, follow His heart toward everything you know to be true and right and ask your hubby to continually remind you the truth when tears come and you doubt... Everytime that voice whispers in your ear and through your thoughts that you can't do this... You scream back... "Oh yes I can! And with the Spirit of Christ in me, I will!" Watch those thoughts slip away and your emotions begin to get in line with His!

    You are not alone, Tera... Many have walked this road ahead of you, even though many of us are not quite as brave as you are to admit it! But brighter days are ahead and you have a lifetime filled with God's promises to look forward to! He didn't bring you this far to drop you and His greatest blessings are waiting for those that will go as far as humanly possible to love Him through doing the hard things that call for you to die to yourself. I love the title to one of my favorite books on the life of Hudson Taylor - "It is not Death to Die". Hang on and find LIFE as you lose yourself Tera.... So many of us are cheering you on as you do!

    Hugs, Lori McCary

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sweet, sweet mama...I just want to give you a huge hug! God is doing a mighty work through Beilyn's adoption. She is His precious child and you were chosen as her parents for a reason. You are already loving her so well, despite the difficulties. Praying for your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate your honesty so much! I have been following your blog since you adopted Brielle and I was so excited to hear you were adopting again. Our adoption with our little girl was hard, and this does bring back a lot of emotions. Just know this little girl was placed in your arms by The Lord and He will not leave you in this journey ahead! We are praying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs!!! I hvae never commented on your blog before but I read it faithfully. I'm originally from Montgomery but moved away for a job in Columbus, IN. I just wanted to tell you...When you get back. You should look into the First Steps program. Any child in the state can qualify for care, cost is based on your income level (but it's really pretty inexpensive). My son had many eating issues that I felt were impossible to correct and we were going to have to deal with forever. His Occupational Therapist came to our house bi-weekly, sometimes weekly and got him to do things I never dreamed of. He would gag if food touched his lips, now he LOVES rice and eats it with his hands! Huge progress I never thought we'd see. My point is, the therapists can help you get Beilyn to progress in ways you never imagined. And with your love and devotion she will blossom and grow and surely catch up!! "You Lord are my lamp, You turn darkness into light". 2Samuel 22:29. Pryaing for strength, comfort, and joy during this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I had a similar experience with our daughter when we adopted from Hunan four years ago. She was 19 months old. She cried most of the time we were in China and her head was small and it looked as if she had microcephaly. She could not really chew solid food. She was so traumatized. She slept with us for the first year home. It was an incredibly hard first year but I am happy to say she is fine. She is more than fine - she is so happy (people comment on it), very bright (her teachers comment on that) and beautiful. She has a sweet personality and is so loving and huggy. She has no health issues and only occasionally has a difficult time with transitions (which continues to get better). Her head grew too from love and food and stimulation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Beilyn and I were both crying, but in that moment, I looked at those red thumbprints and it reminded me of the blood He poured out in the ultimate sacrifice for us. I repeated in my head, "It's all because of Him.""
    That made me cry. It's ALL because of Him, the one who gave everything for us. Your heavenly father is so very pleased with your obedience. Beilyn is one loved little girl and your journey with her is going to take you closer to Jesus as you depend on Him daily, giving up your plan for your family and fully embracing His plan. I am praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tera - you and your husband are such a blessing! This post made my heart ache. Like so many, I thank you for your honestytoo. Hugs and prayers <3

    ReplyDelete