I've received lots of questions about our adoption over the last few weeks so I thought maybe I'd try to fill you all in a little. I say a "little" because it is all still so new to us too, so I can't guarantee that I'll be sharing all of this info correctly but at least you will have a better idea of what we are up to. :)
We have been collecting oodles of paperwork for 3 different parts of the adoption...
1)Home Study
2)CIS application- I800A form
3)Dossier (packet of documents) for China Center of Adoption Affairs (CCAA).
The Home Study evaluates our family history and background (including multiple background checks on us and our children), our philosophy on marriage, raising children, education, how we have prepared for the adoption of a special needs child, if our home is safe/suitable for raising a child, required training courses, etc. The paperwork also includes many references from family and friends, our employers, financial statements, and medical exams. The process is time-consuming for sure...which is often why these beginning phases of adoption are referred to as a "paper pregnancy." It's exhausting! :)
Now that we have our part of the HS completed, we are waiting on the Home Study agency to review, revise, and finalize it. We've been told this process can take 4 to 6 weeks. Once we have the Home Study, we will send it in with our I800A form to Citizenship & Immigrat*on Services. This process will also include fingerprinting and more paperwork. Once we have USCIS approval...we can send our Dossier to China!!!
Sounds easy enough...except the Dossier requires some of the same, some similar, and some totally different paperwork. These documents have to be notarized, then sent to the Secretary of State for seals, and then to the Chinese Consulate in Chicago for authentication. We are in the final processes of having our papers notarized right now and will hopefully be sending them to the Sec. of State soon.
Because we are on the Waiting Children list (special needs), the next steps may vary a little. We may actually identify our daughter on a list before we even send our dossier or we may have our dossier sent and wait, wait, wait to be matched. But this is approximately what will happen...
Our agency will send our Dossier to China (DTC).
We will then be notified of its Log In Date (LID) with CCAA.
We will either find our little girl on a Shared list or be matched with a little girl. We will have a short time frame to review her file, consult with specialists, and pray over this little girl. If we choose to adopt her, we will send a Letter of Intent (LOI) to CCAA.
We will wait for a Pre-Approval from CCAA, which usually comes pretty quickly.
Then we wait for the actual Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from China saying we can adopt her, which can take months.
We will submit our request to CIS again with a I800 form for the specific child we want to adopt and they will cable our information/Visa request to CCAA (not sure exactly what all happens here.)
Once we finally receive Travel Approval (TA), our agency will set up all of the arrangements and we will travel to China to meet our newest daughter!
It doesn't feel like the time will come soon enough, but we are trusting in His perfect timing and enjoying our sweet girls at home while we wait. They have been practicing some Chinese and learning more and more about the culture. We will not be taking the girls with us for 2 reasons...1) It's so expensive. 2)We want to focus on bonding with our new baby. We will miss our girls so much though as we have never been away from them for 2 whole weeks before...thank God for Skype!!
Our little girl will have a Chinese name but it will be our choice of whether or not to include this in her American name. We do know her first name will start with a B for sure. :) We have been tossing around a few names and I know we'll know for sure once we see her picture.
Thank you for your prayers for our family and our little China girl!
Oh I have goosebumps!!!!! YAY, so excited!! Praying for things to go as fast as possible =)
ReplyDeleteOh my! I haven't been on blog for months & havent seen you guys at gymanstics for months, I had no idea you guys were adopting. Congrats! It does sound like a long process but this baby will be so blessed to be raised by your family. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteYou know I have been and will continue to pray for YOU my sweet friend, you two beautiful girls, and the sweet China Baby waiting on you to come be her momma forever :) ((oh and alex too)) :)
ReplyDeleteAh, praying for your during this process. The paperwork and wait are all consuming, but it is all in God's timing. He knows your little girl already and it making it all come together in His time.
ReplyDeleteWOW. I know I asked questions... and you answered them all :) I am like Leah, I have goosebumps. It seems like an amazing adventure to meet your new daughter! This time may seem to drag on but once you have your lil one- it will all seem like just a moment in time. :)
ReplyDeleteWOW....you could be a family of 5 by Christmas!! I am going to continue to be praying for you guys!!!! Once all of that paperwork is done that is going to be such a relief.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for all of you! I'll be praying for you all and your new little girl :) I love being able to go on this journey with you through your blog!
ReplyDeleteTara,
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you and Alex! It's amazing to see God guiding you guys to and through this decision. I tear up as I read through your progress and journey. Taddy and I have planned, since we got married, to adopt a baby girl from China. We haven't tried for biological children yet, but for us our China baby is the same as our biological babies. Actually, just yesterday in worship I was tearing up just thinking about her. I am excited to be able to peak in on your process and see what it is like. I am praying for you guys. Can't wait till you guys get to celebrate having her with you! Have you ever gone to youtube and watched "gotcha day" videos? They're amazing and you definitely need a box of Kleenex. Thanks for taking us all along on your miraculous journey! :)
Ariel Schmitt