Wednesday, June 8, 2022

East Trip - Day 6 {Assateague Island}

Many years ago, I learned about the wild horses on Assateague Island and have wanted to visit ever since. Today's experience beat my expectations!  The island is beautiful with the Atlantic Ocean on one side and salt marshes on the other. We encountered 5 different groups of horses as we biked all over the island.  A quiet afternoon by the beach was heaven. Then, we finished the day with s'mores around the fire. 
 
Trying to decide which bikes to rent was a challenge. There were no tandem bikes (for Beilyn) and we were afraid Bria would wear out if she couldn't have a turn in the bike cart occasionally. So we opted to get a bike with training wheels so that Beilyn could take turns on it with her. Bria was not happy about it as she wanted a "big girl" bike. The training wheels weren't removable but we eventually convinced Bria she would be fine and were on our way!
We started over the Verrazano Bridge from mainland Maryland to Assateague Island.
💕💕💕💕💕
As soon as we crossed the bridge, we found our first band of horses!
Patient Braylee, going slow for Beilyn.
It's difficult to see in the picture but there were horses out in the marsh, including a baby.
We quickly realized the bike situation wasn't working.  Alex took off on Brynna's bike to go get another cart so we could pull all 3 of the little girls.  After he left, I decided to let Bria try Brielle's bike, knowing Brielle could deal with the training wheels.  Bria couldn't even touch the ground when she was on the seat, but it didn't stop her! She took off with no problems.  Almost immediately, Brielle announced (about the training wheel bike), "This bike is hard to steer and is making a weird noise!"  So instead of another cart, I took off on the training wheel bike (it really was as bad as Bria said it was 😂) to meet Alex so he could switch it out for another kid bike!  I'm sure I looked like a crazy lady on that thing, but I was glad we had found a solution (and Beilyn was happy to know she could just ride in the cart)!
Brielle laughing and being a good sport about the wonky training wheels!
Brynna pulled the cart while Alex was switching out the bikes.
It was hot! ☀️
So we found our campsite and took a break at the beach!
So much happier digging in the sand than riding that bike!
The ocean was just over the hill. 💗
The girls loved the quiet afternoon- littles playing in the sand beside our camper and the big girls catching up with their friends and relaxing in the sun.
Meanwhile, I snuck a snack inside while I cleaned the camper and prepped dinner. 😄
Bria helped her dad grill dinner.
We made it to the end of the road & bike trail! 
I'm proud of this little 6 yr old! After we switched out bikes, she rode for 8 miles without a complaint.
A view of our campsite from the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment