Saturday, November 8, 2008

Back to Work

I made it back to work on Thursday. It was great to see my coworkers and hear what they've been up to. As the day went on, I kept having more and more pain in my right lower jaw. By 4pm, I finally called the orthodontist b/c I felt like something wasn't right. She had me come straight over...and worked on me for an hour. She said my right lower jaw was shifting to compensate for my top teeth being out wider now...and she was glad I didn't let the problem continue. She used some type of material to build up my teeth in the back...feels like I have big chunks of food stuck in my teeth. It has helped though...for the pain and I can tell my bite is better. Unfortunately, to prevent these pieces from breaking off, she put me back on the soft diet. :( Oh well, what's another couple of weeks of mashed potatoes and pudding?! ;)

Monday, we visited Jenn and new baby Brent. Then, Trista and Ava came home with us for a sleepover. The girls were sooo good! Brynna provided most of their entertainement...
Several people have asked about my Gramps...thank you!! He had surgery on 10/22 to remove his sternum. He remained in ICU on the ventilator until the following Tuesday when a plastic surgeon recontructed his chest using his own chest muscles. I think it was Thursday evening that they extubated him b/c he was fighting the tube so much. He stayed in ICU until a few days later. My Grammy said he was VERY confused at first but doing better now. He moved out to the regular cardiac floor a couple of days ago. I spoke with him on the phone this morning. He was up in the chair and talking with my mom when I called. There is another complication, and the doctors are considering another surgery to see what the problem is. Please be praying things resolve without surgery and he can come home soon. I keep praying he'll be home for Thanksgiving...and especially Christmas.

It seems like this was a long week, but I can't pinpoint why it felt like that. I was disappointed when Brynna had on different clothes after daycare on Thursday (meaning she had an accident) until Lori explained it was b/c they had forgotten to put a diaper on her at nap...so no big deal. I was still happy to see she had on the same clothes yesterday though...I feel like she's really potty-trained when she can do it for other people too! ;)

Some exciting news for us...we're meeting with the drafter/architect guy on Nov. 25th to start plans for our house!! We have had our lot since before we were even engaged. Sometimes it seems like forever since we started talking about our "dream" house...and then there are other times when it scares me that the time is really here! We're planning to start building next fall so the house can be done by Spring/early Summer of 2010...in time for Braylee to get settled in a little before kindergarten starts in the fall. Please be praying for us to make the right decisions during this process. I've always heard horror stories about how stressful building a house can be on a marriage. So far, we seem to agree on most things...or are willing to agree anyway. I'm praying we can be an exception and the entire process will allow us to grow even closer instead of causing arguments.

Alex went into the office this morning, but the girls can't wait for him to get home. He promised he would pile the leaves together for them...pictures coming soon!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry we missed you! We haaaad to peek. Hopefully, Karen was right cuz we're pretty excited to have another lil princess, esp daddy:) gla to hear your feeling better! sounds like you had good nurses at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite what most people say about building a house (i.e. if you're ever gonna get a divorce it will be when you build the house), it's not like that at all. If you have a solid marriage that goes 2 ways/compromises, it will be a fun adventure...not troublesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you got to the ortho. in time to catch the problem before it became something major! Also, I will continue to keep your Gramps in my prayers that he will be able to come home by Thanksgiving. As for the building process, as long as the 2 of you keep God first and communicate with one another you will be fine. It is definitely a trying time in a marriage that's for sure, but it's nothing you can't get through. Another thing to remember, don't get your heart set on a certain move in date. 4 1/2 years ago when we built our house in the fall we were supposed to move in by March and with the weather and contractor's schedules that just didn't happen and it ended up being May which was a little disappointing. In the end it ended up being fine, but I had my heart set on a certain date and when it came and went I was a little upset. Oh, and one other thing, since I work in the construction/development business whatever the price is your builder tells you it will "probably" end up being 20-30% more than that in the end because the price of materials adjust so much sometimes on a daily basis and especially if there is a natural disaster (i.e. flood, tornado, etc.). Everyone I know that has built this has happened to. Just my advice for you. Sorry for the long post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Parents & Ryan's Parents have each built 2 houses a piece from ground up & I never seen either set of our parents fight about any of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the advice girls. I think Alex and I have a fantastic marriage so I think we'll be ok, but I don't want to be one of those couples that do not enjoy the process. Jamie- You and Shad were an inspiration to me! Your house is no ordinary house...and you guys always worked so well together on such a big project. Amy- I don't even want to know an estimated finish date! :) We don't HAVE to be in by a certain time, so I'm gonna try to focus on things being done right instead of by a certain deadline. Since you work in construction, you'll be getting some emails from me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad we are not closer to you as we could save you a bundle on the electrical end including fixtures. We have wired a lot of new houses and i have seen the stress level go both ways. Like your friend Amy said construction costs and schedules are not a sure thing. We see the price of wire go up and down almost daily. We just have to plan accordingly and pray for the best. I know you and Alex will be fine and if we can help by answering and questions please don't hesitate to ask. I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete