Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"I can't help it!"

One thing I love about our church is that it's not a "feel good" church. Of course we receive love and encouragement from our sisters and brothers there, but the sermons aren't about making us "feel good"...they are about making us better Christians, better witnesses, making us feel convicted to strengthen our relationship with Christ. Well, Pastor Shawn's sermon spoke directly to me on Sunday morning. Ever find yourself saying, "I can't help it!" Such as I can't help it that I'm a worry wart or I can't help it that I'm easily angered or my personal favorite, "I can't help it that I easily get my feelings hurt." On Sunday morning, Shawn told us to turn to 1 Corinthians 10:13 and underline it if we hadn't already. I didn't even flip to it because that's one of the verses I've known since childhood...but I never really GOT it until Sunday! 1 Cor. 10:13 says, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And He is faithful, He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. For when you are tempted, He will provide a way out so you can stand up under it." (That may not be exact since I'm typing it from memory.) Anyway, when I've read or heard this verse over the years, I always considered it a BIG temptation. But Shawn pointed out that this is referring to ALL temptations...the temptation to be angry, proud, jealous, worrisome (big kick in the gut when he mentioned this one), etc. And the biggest point Shawn made...We have no excuse! He promises us a way out! Suddenly, the "I can't help it; God made me this way." excuse no longer seems feasible. Granted there are things I will always be working on, but it will definitely make me think twice before I say, "I can't help it." again. We can help it! We receive help from Christ during any temptation! So, now if you hear me saying, "I'm really working on that!" you'll know where I'm coming from and can pray for me. :)

5 comments:

  1. What a great post Tera - and soooo true! Glad to know my cousin Shawn is doing such a great job too :) Thanks for sharing the verse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true...but it doesn't make it any easier! When you're faced with a temptation, all you're thinking about is that temptation...At that moment, it seems that nothing else matters. I'll try to remember this verse next time I'm tempted...Thx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exactly right, Tera! With God anything is possible. Thanks for the reminder and stepping on my toes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had a post on this recently... in sunday school i was really convicted about about being offended easily... I am easily offended, tend to think others think badly of me or are mad at me, etc. etc.
    Before I always just said, "well that's how I am." after that sunday at church I realized, that might be my human nature, but God doesn't want me to be that way. I'm def. working on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed to hear that.
    thx tera. love you.
    ~andre`

    ReplyDelete