Friday, March 6, 2009

Not sure how to describe this feeling...

I know I'm way over due for an update, but I can't think about much else at the moment than the basketball game I just witnessed. Perhaps I wasn't born a BR Viking, but I've been a true BR fan for 13 years now. I've watched some glorious victories over the years... from Landon's final shot against Loogootee in 1997 to Josh's amazing 3 pointer in the 2007 Semi State and countless other final minutes that seem magical...you know, the ones Albert captures in slow motion on the Road to Glory tapes. :) I've also seen some devastating loses...the ones where the last shot bounced out or a little mishap caused a game-changing turn-over. But, this is unprecedented. A WIN that's counted as a loss.

Celebration after Semi-State win 2007

Tonight, Barr-Reeve was down by one point with 4.1 seconds left (I think). Trey nailed a shot...a shot that clearly left his hands before the buzzer went off. Unfortunately 2 referees chose not to call anything and another said it didn't count. We went from complete jubilation, knowing BR and Coach Hughes had pulled off another magical victory, to complete confusion and devastation only seconds later when we realized they had not counted the shot. WHAT??!! It's simply not fair that one man could decide such a big call by himself?! Ya ya, I know...life's not fair.

At one point, I know some people probably thought the game was over when we were down by 10 with less than 5 minutes to go, but I couldn't help but think about Aaron Ash scoring 9 points in 6 seconds (ok, it really wasn't THAT magical, but I don't remember exactly how it went down) on that very same floor several years before. I was nervous but had a feeling our boys could pull it out. After the game, I thought it might almost feel better if Trey had missed the shot, because then we could have accepted it as a true loss. That brief moment of thinking it might have been better if he had missed it is gone...the truth is, BR won the game regardless of who gets the W by their name in the paper. A WIN marked as a loss.

For those not from Southern Indiana (or those who didn't get the Hoosier-hysteria-basketball gene!), it's hard to understand how upset we could be over a silly basketball game. And sure, it's just a game, but here...here it's different. These boys grew up hearing stories about their dads playing at BR. They've been dribbling basketballs since they were able to walk, and at least as far back as I can remember, we've been talking about how THESE boys had a chance at State this year. Alex and I have been traveling to watch these boys play ball since they were in 4th and 5th grade. They are our Bible Memory boys! I am so upset for them and their families. It's hard to comprehend as a fan...I can't imagine being one of the players, coaches, or parents.

With my favorite player Ethan.

Still trying to figure out why it ended like this. ???

8 comments:

  1. we listened to it on the radio and couldn't believe it either, I can imagine witnessing it. The radio said that even the ND fans couldn't believe it. It's hard as an adult to understand it..and you should have heard the girls...how do you explain and instill "good sportsmanship" like that? I told them even though it wasn't the right call you still have to respect authority..but it's still hard to comprehend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up this morning and am still trying to comprehend why or how??? In the back of my mind I keep thinking someone is giong to call and say they changed it.. DEVASTATING!!! Logan and a few of the other boys went to the locker room celebrating.. they thought they had won until someone came in there and told them differently... I just can't beleive it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tera, I too have watched these boys since 4th and 5th grade being so close in age to Dillon. I grew up with most of the parents and they feel like family. I feel so sorry for them especially Ethan. He gave it his all last night and basketball is in his blood. He's such a natural talent and I hated to see it end this way. No explanation-no discussion just make the call and run off the floor as your making it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. And I would hope our students would never chant something like "We play football" when an opposing player is laying on the floor with a puddle of blood beside him. Kendall has a fractured lower lumbar. Props to ND players though they are a good team and BR should have never gotten in the position to rely on a last second shot. Susie is right. Good lesson for adults and kids in sportmanship and respecting authority and each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tera, Eric went to the game last night because he had purchased a sectional ticket and always watches all the games regardless if Loogootee loses in the first game or not. They just love going to the games. He said definitely BR should be going on--no discussion about it. Of course we know firsthand how they make mistakes in their calls. For example, the 2 pointer ruled as a 3pointer a couple weeks ago in our game against ND, so we ended up winning by 1! Of course there are some adults with serious sportsmanship problems and one "adult" ended up tripping one of our players as they were walking off the court. All I can say is GROW UP! Until next year, right??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brad was just telling me about it. His dad went to watch it with some friends. He agreed with you. Also got your message, IDK why my phone didn't ring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know how you feel about not being born a viking- but being one at heart :) i'm the same way!

    i couldn't believe it... i was jumping up and down screaming b/c we won and then i was so confused... i just feel so terribly for ethan who played his heart out and all the others too.

    soooo frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry your boys lost:( Our girls went to state yesterday (Oak Hill vs. Heritage Christian) and lost by 2 in OT....so disappointing. It was their second year in a row to lose at state to this team!
    (-Lynsey, not Derek)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GRR, i'm still furious! I'm going tonight and I keep teasing my boyfriend, Derrick, that i'm goin to be wearing purple. He said if I show up with purple on he'll leave me at home! ha.
    p.s. that picture from semi-state is my second favorite. The other one with everyone screaming in the background as the ball goes through the net is AMAZING. Plus I look completely hilarious while i'm in mid-celebration 4 feet of the ground. I never knew I could jump that high! Look for me when you see that picture next. Lower right corner, in my cheer uniform. You'll get a really good laugh! =]

    ReplyDelete