Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What an Injustice!

Who would have thought hiring a cleaning lady a few years ago would have made such an impact on my girls?! Now that I'm only working 2 days/week, it seemed a bit silly for me to have a cleaning lady. So, the day before the girls' party was their last day...the little fairies that leave my house so clean and fresh are not scheduled to come back. :( Yesterday, I figured I should get an early start on cleaning. It wasn't long until I had a little audience. Braylee and Brynna planted themselves outside my bathroom and asked question after question. "What's that blue stuff? Do you clean the outside of the toilet too? Hey, I saw that on TV. Does the cleaning lady do it like this? Why do you have those yellow gloves on?" It didn't take long until I realized my little girls are completely clueless about cleaning because they've never seen me do it...well, except vacuuming and the occasional wipe down of the kitchen counters. I snapped a picture of them watching the freshly mopped floor dry. :) I had to call Alex right away and tell him what an injustice I've done to my girls...being a bad mother and not teaching my girls how to clean our home. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they realize it's not much fun and will be coming up with all kinds of excuses to get out of helping me in the future. Sunday evening, I was busy working on bows when the girls came into the kitchen dressed in Braylee's dance outfits. Braylee was the teacher and Brynna was her new student. It was sooo sweet! (Brittany- You would be so proud of Braylee. I heard "shuffle" several times in her "teaching.") They practiced tap and ballet. ;)




With their birthdays only 2 days apart, it seems hand-me-downs would be key to Brynna's wardrobe. And while we've definitely gotten good use of many of Braylee's old clothes, their difference in builds has made it a bit harder to reuse them. I noticed it today especially. I bought this outfit for Braylee when she was 14 mo. old. (I distinctly remember b/c I had actually bought it as a Christmas present, but the day I purchased it, Braylee threw up red slushy (Thanks, Mamaw!) all over her outfit. So, it became a Thank-goodness-I-just-bought-this-outfit outfit instead of a Christmas gift.) Anyway, so Braylee was wearing it at 14 mo. Here Brynna is at 24 months and it fits quite nicely. Either way, we've gotten double use out of it which I appreciate. I loved the fall weather today! I've loved getting to hear more and more of Brynna's little voice. I'm amazed at how much she is saying and talking about now. Today, the new Pottery Barn Kids catalog came in the mail. Perhaps it was better when she couldn't tell us everything she wants! ;) As she was flipping through the catalog, I heard, "Roar!" (pointing at the shark costume), "spider," "I want that house." (It really is a cute plush doll house!), "I want new chair." (The green one to be exact.), "I want that doll." and lots of "I want that. I want that." She oohed and awed over their amazing kitchen sets too. So, I started asking the girls what they want to put on their Christmas lists. I was pretty impressed with some of Braylee's ideas! I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Santa brings.

4 comments:

  1. How dare you not teach your children how to clean! ha Only kidding- Im sure they are just enjoying spending more time with Mommy at home :) I do so love this fall weather too! I have to think before we leave the house though- what to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to two beautiful girls! Brynna is such a cutie pie too! Love her. I love your blog and thanks for the comment about the Hurricane. It was a mess! Yes, I wish you would come and visit! PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry...my kids learn everything they know about housekeeping from their babysitter...I teach them the other important things in life...how to play games and not cheat, how to talk nicely to each other instead of beating the you know what out of each other...etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, Braylee has a very nice shuffle in class!!

    ReplyDelete