Thursday, August 11, 2011

Learning While We Wait

We've been away on our summer vacation...can't wait to upload all the pics and share about our fun adventures in Chicago!

Today was Braylee's 1st day of 1st grade. Didn't I just type her 1st day of Kindergarten post??! But this post is about our adoption...

It's amazing how quickly the process has gone in some ways and how at other times, it seems frustratingly slow. Regardless, I continue to see God's hand in all of it...including the visit I had with an adoptive mom of a 5 yr old Chinese girl who was splashing in the pool along side my girls on our recent vacation...too bad I didn't have my camera.

I had first seen a picture of a precious little "heart" baby in May on another agency's list, but I realized last week that her file would be released back to China soon (An agency can only hold it for 90 days). There was also a new picture of her taken in July. Captivating. I was able to obtain her medical report and sent it to two doctors for review. Her diagnosis was a severe, complex congenital heart defect. It was a little scary to be honest, yet I continued to pursue her file. I prayed feverishly for this little girl over the weekend. I prayed for God to connect the dots if she was to be our daughter and also for Him to close the doors if she was not. In the process, I found out two other families were also interested in adopting her. Rather than jealousy, I felt a sense of calm...knowing this little girl would surely have her forever family soon. On Monday, I heard the wonderful news that a family had indeed been matched with her! I was a bit sad for us, but excited for this little girl and thankful for God's sovereignty.

My mother-in-law shared some wisdom with me as we waited to see if we could officially have her file... She said, "It could be this little girl isn't for you but that God wants to know if you would take her if He ASKED you to. ? Sort of like Abraham and Isaac at the alter." It was definitely food for thought, and Alex and I did realize one thing for sure.

We are not adopting through "special needs" because the process is quicker than the regular China program. We feel led to adopt a child with "special needs" for a reason, even if we don't understand it and even if her "need" seems a little scary. He has a plan for us, and we know her only true need is for a Saviour.

We continue to learn while we wait.

7 comments:

  1. Have I told you how cool you are lately? Because you are :) I love what your mother told you... what amazing wisdom comes when we remember to listen! Keep the posts coming! Cant wait to see Braylee's first day pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, love your selfless thought while entering this God ordained adoption. Cannot wait to see Him connect the dots in His perfect plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tera, what a process...agonizing yet exhilarating at the same time. You, Alex and the girls will be the best family for the exact child God picks out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what your mother-in-law said! This may only be a sign and preparing for something soon:) Atleast that is what I hope for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Tera I love reading your words, you are such an inspiration. It gives me goosebumps just listening to you share your journey! I love hearing how you let GOD lead your family, we could all learn from you guys, not only patience but obedience as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man... I am a mess! lots of tears... I can not wait to meet this sweet little thing that God has created just for you. love you sis

    ReplyDelete