This is my first time on the internet in over a week, and sadly, it's to share bad news. My sister-in-law Mandi and my nephew Gabe were involved in a serious car accident Saturday night. That was one of the scariest phone calls I've ever received. I rushed to the hospital and knew it was bad when I saw the heli-pad was lit up. Both of them were stabilized in our ER and then air-lifted to trauma centers in Indy. Mandi has broken vertebrae in her lower back and hopefully will undergo surgery in the morning (Monday) if the swelling has gone down enough. She is having severe nerve pain in her legs and it seems her left leg/knee may be fractured, but for now, they are focusing on her spine. Last night, she had no feeling or movement in her legs, but she can wiggle her toes now. Praise the Lord! Baby Gabe has a skull fracture on the back, right side of his head. The good news is the swelling is coming out and not affecting his brain at this point, but the neurosurgeon said the next 48 hours (from when we arrived last night) are very critical. He is ventilated and sedated. It's so sad to see him hooked up to so many tubes. Even after working in PICU for several years, it's so much harder when it's a little boy you love so much. He is responsive and moving all of his limbs, which is such a blessing for us to see right now. Thankfully, Andre' wasn't hurt in the wreck but I can't imagine the emotional trauma he is experiencing right now. Please be praying for peace and comfort for all of them. Both Mandi and Gabe will have a long recovery, but we're feeling much better tonight than we did last night when we first saw them. Mandi's baby is doing good. They did an ultrasound this evening. The baby was moving and had a good heartbeat! I truly love Mandi as a sister and it hurts deeply to see her and Gabe in so much pain.We had a wonderful time on the mission trip and hopefully I'll get a chance to update on it soon. I've only been home about 8 hours total since I arrived home from Mexico at 2am Saturday morning. Also, please say a little prayer for my girls. They must think I've abandoned them with me being gone to Mexico and then leaving them suddenly last night. I think Braylee was happy to get a chance to spend the night with Sydney though. :)
Tera,
ReplyDeleteHeres a BIG hug for you (XOXO). Please let us know if we can be of any help to you and all extended family and friends. We are willing to help with anything whether be child care, lawn work, cleaning, running errands, meals, phone calls, taking care of pets, travel, rubbing your feet, etc... We are at your service.
We are all praying...even Griffin...yesterday he was spinning in circles in the living room and was saying at the same time "take care of Gabe..take care of his mommy"...he just kept repeating it without any prompting. May we all have Faith like a child! Please do not hesitate to ask for anything.
Tera, we are all praying and constantly have Mandi, Gabe, and Andre' in our thoughts. Keep us updated, and if there is anything anyone needs please don't hesitate to ask.
ReplyDeleteIt just so happened that I was on Penny's blog today and tapped into yours and read about your family. I am so very sorry to hear about them and I will be sure to pray for them and to pass along to all pray warriors.
ReplyDeleteTera, thank you so much for keeping us all updated on what's going on. We have been full of worry and concern since we heard the news. Garret and I have been praying for Mandi, Andre, Gabe, and the littlest Knepp without ceasing. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.
ReplyDeleteTera, I'm sorry I am just getting around to reading this. My heart is hurting for you and your family!! I will be praying. Lots of love.
ReplyDelete